Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing #18 - Explore social networking

I have accounts on My Space and FaceBook, but I rarely use these accounts. After this class, I will delete both accounts because I do not like information about myself on a social network. I know with My Space you can choose to have your account marked private with a password, but I am not sure about FaceBook. I can see how this may be used to acquaint yourself with other people who have common interests or want to keep up with friends who live in other places. I also realize that every teenager probably has an account on My Space. Students today are not afraid of technology, they live in the digital age. It is second nature to them to post things on blogs, add music, and pictures to their social network. They use My Space to keep up with their friends. As a parent, I would become very familiar with both social networks because these sites can be unsafe if students do not set up their accounts to insure their privacy.
I noticed that My Space had more options to customize your page while FaceBook had a more business appeal to its page. I am not convinced that My Space belongs in an educational setting. We have too many other options to use with our students like Wikis, but I feel it is very important for us to stay informed about these sites because our students do use them frequently.
This is my FaceBook account.

No comments: